Monday, October 12, 2009

Marriage and Bot Flies.

So my wife Meghan and I are going on a mission trip to Peru in January. We will be supplying a network of villages with water filtration systems as well as teaching healthy living standards. We are super excited and I will share more later. For now I found a strange correlation in my research for Peru.

I am not a huge fan of insects so I started researching the insects Peru. This led to me to the Bot Fly, which led me to Dermatobia Hominis(not gross link)
or human bot fly, its the only species of bot fly known to use humans as the host to its larvae. Aka, this fly lays its eggs in human skin so they can eat the skin, get fat(GROSS LINK) and grow into more bot flies. Understandably it intrigued me/grossed me out but it got me thinking; as people, we live with spiritual/character bot flies.

Now hear me out, as Christ followers we should be sanctified daily as we get closer to eternity with Christ. Sanctification means to make holy, to purify and to set free from sin. But I am finding that a lot of us sanctify ourselves from, say the freaking alligator gnawing on our legs or from the bee hive we choose to hold on to so very tightly. Yet we neglect to take care of the bot flies that have found themselves a home in our spiritual lives and just like in real life, it is pretty easy to hide the little red bumps and maybe even convince ourselves that they arn't there; when in reality there is a maggot growing under our skin.

Here is the kicker, I could tell all of you that I don't have any bot flies and really, you probably don't even want to know. But when it comes to our spouses, no body wants to crawl into bed with somebody that has maggots in their skin. I think that marriage is the most sanctifying adventure in life; its not fun to pull the bot fly maggots out, it hurts and they are gross and living with a little red bump may even seem easier. But in the long run, the bot flies can be done away with and we truly are more sanctified.

Until Next Time...



Today's Treasure Trove

No comments:

Post a Comment