Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Homeless.

Those of you who know my wife, know that she is gifted in sleeping. Especially when she has been working A TON and going to class even more. She puts in long days and so I want to preface this story by acknowledging that I never once harbored a negative feeling towards her during my experience.

Few things you should know: Last night I came home from a birthday after-party after The Ave, our Tuesday night service for college students. I didn't have the car or keys for that matter; so I got dropped off and I noticed the lights were on meaning she had waited up for me. I got to the front door and I could hear the TV was on quite loudly and so I knocked... and knocked and knocked. After a few minutes I went around back to try that door and I feared bothering the neighbors inside. Back door: locked. Through the back window I could see half the couch, the half with her legs under a blanket. So I knocked and banged and she never moved. I laughed a little.

I had called her and sent her some texts but it wasn't enough. I think because she fell asleep with the TV on all noise was irrelevant to her. So I sat down on our back porch and looked up at the night sky. Fortunately it wasn't too cold and kind of enjoyed my time with my thoughts and with God. But after about 45 minutes and knocking every now and then I assessed my situation and decided to move into the hall way outside our door.

When I got to the other door I knocked. Nothing. So I sat down in the dark hall and listened to the TV from inside... "Now for 3 easy payments of 33.33 you can get the Hann steam sanitizer." In a text, I told this to Meghan. No response. After some time I again assessed my situation and assumed the worst. I curled up on the floor and tired to sleep. Some ideas came to mind while laying thing... "Go throw the breaker, that should get her attention" but I didn't, I just honestly tried to sleep. After awhile I was like "Forget this" and went back to the back door.

I let it have it. I pounded like it was going out of style. A leg moved. Pounded more and she woke up and let me in. Nearly two hours later I got in. The end.

I don't really have any lesson from this. I titled it homeless because I thought I could correlate my experience with a homeless person, but I can't and really, it makes me thankful that I am not homeless. It was a great evening none the less.

Thanks for tuning in.



Treasure Trove

1 comment:

  1. Hey Cullen, this is Daniel. I just discovered your blog. I must go to work right now so I can't comment divluge, but know your thoughts are appreciated...I look forward to the adventures of Miserabile Visu. Until we meet again.

    ReplyDelete