Monday, October 26, 2009

A Boy and His Horse.

This is the life and times of Cullen Teska and his 1992 Honda Accord.

I went home this weekend and experienced something that I never really have before. Death.
I was given the opportunity to drive my old car for what may have possibly been, the last time. At first I didn't think much of it; though I did find it strange to be driving a vehicle with orange "For Sale" signs on the back windows. It wasn't long before memories were streaming in and tears were nearly streaming down. 7 years and 100,000 miles all for what? To be stripped of everything that was familiar, cleaned out and sold to someone who had no idea of our history? I felt like Noah from "The Notebook," here lay my Allie in front of me yet sterile and unknowing of me. The faded old MasterCraft sticker was scraped off and the glove box was empty; it was as if my faithful car had come down with a horrible case of dementia and was no longer mine. So as I locked the doors and walked away for the very last time, the deep pain of an open casket wake, struck me to my core. To help myself through the grieving process I have written a eulogy of sorts; a time line of our relationship.

September 2002- Accord came into my life, I can still remember the JV football game at Sparta, I saw her from across the street for the very first time.

November 2002- The CD Player that I had purchased for her lasted all but 3 weeks before being stolen; our relationship was strengthened through the pain.

February 2003- One evening, a tire blew out. The wheel was torqued on and not having a cell phone required me to walk a long way to the nearest gas station for a phone.

Summer/Football of 2003- I filled the back floor space and up onto the seats with Gatorade bottles, that was great.

September 2003- The first K9 search of the High School parking lot. The dogs barked like mad at my car, the police tore the car apart and found nothing. I had nothing.

Spring 2004- In my boyish immaturity I pushed her to her limits and reached speeds unachievable by my peers.

Summer 2004- While driving home from work, my radiator cracked. Needed a new one.

September 2004- Second K9 Search, more barking more searching and of course, no drugs.

November 2004- Purchased the correct clamps allowing the snowboard rack to work with her.

September 2005- Third K9 Search, again barking, but upon seeing it was me, the police let me go unquestioned. Will never know why the dogs barked.

January 2006- I somehow was able to get her to Eau Claire with me despite being a freshman, I still remember the late nights at the Menards DC and the relief of seeing her after a long shift.

May 2006- I packed her up and we moved to Camp for the summer.

August 2006- I packed her up again and we moved to Northwestern for football. We learned Minneapolis together.

November 2006- I walked outside of my apartment and where I had parked her the night before was an empty spot. She had been stolen from me. For 2 weeks I went through the torment of not knowing if I would ever see her again.

November 2006- Police found her and I had to pick her up from the impound, this was quite the experience. They took her distributor; 75$ on ebay.

Spring 2007- We began driving home alot together, to see this girl name Meghan.

May 2007- Packed up and moved back to camp.

August 2007- Packed up and moved to Northwestern again.

November 2007- Trips to see Meghan Steven's Point WI began. 3.5 hours one way.

February 2008- Working at Best Buy, again, seeing her in the parking lot after a long shift was heaven.

May 2008- Drove from Minneapolis to The Dells, to Hillsboro, back to Minneapolis and to La Crosse in preparation for proposing to Meghan.

Summer 2008- I bought a new Deck and Speakers for her, she sounded great! But didn't have the best summer, she was there for me.

Fall 2008- Began driving to Steven's Point 2 to 3 times a month, remember, 3.5 hours one way.

Spring 2009- Continued driving to Point 2 to 3 times a month.

April 2009- First time she didn't start, stranded us in Milwaukee. In hindsight this allowed us to stay in Milwaukee longer and made for some great memories.

May 2009- Graduated from College and drove home in her. Spent the last view weeks as a single man with her.

She has carried, snowboards, snowboard gear, bowling ball, wakeboards, guns, bows, hunting gear, all my clothes, bikes, guitar, camp gear, college gear, TV, mattress, dozens of people, Gatorade bottles, a keg, paintball guns, paintball gear, longboards, water skiis, drums, football gear, and golf clubs.

I have sweat, cried and bled in her. I have laughed in her, screamed in her, and sang in her. I have had more meals in her then my current home.

You have been the best car a boy could ask for. You will be forever missed, good-bye and good-luck.

The healing begins.








Treasure Trove

1 comment:

  1. Ah yes, remember that time we wandered through the streets of downtown aboard the beast, shouting "go" and witnessing the strange and sometimes debaucherous happenings of the city?

    May she rest in peace...

    ReplyDelete